+ TIPS & TRICKS
THE BASICS OF SUNLESS TANNING:
- Arrive showered, shaved, exfoliated and free of lotion or makeup (Or just add our Prep Pkg to your service! That will remove any residual oils and moisturizers from the body). Always rinse with COLD water after shaving. Please note: Our Prep Pkg does NOT remove build up/color from previous bronzing sessions..
- EXFOLIATE ANY EXCESS BUILD UP or COLOR FROM PREVIOUS SUNLESS TANNERS or BRONZING SESSIONS. This is probably the most common mistake people make. We need skin that’s free of all sunless tanning products for best results. You don’t want to be splotchy do you?
- Bring dark, loose fitting clothing and flip flops to wear AFTER the session and continue to wear loose clothing for at least 6-8 hours as the color develops. Knit clothing works best. NO JEANS, NO CLOSE-TOED SHOES, NO TIGHT TOPS/SPORTS BRAS. It will cause uneven development! (Would you put on socks and sneakers right after you get a pedicure? No way!)
- DO NOT GET WET or SWEAT for 8-10 hours after the session. If you need to work out, get a mani/pedi or a wax, etc make sure to do it before the session or the following day.
- After the 8 hour period following the bronzing session, you are free to shower in luke warm water. Using a mild soap or body wash, lightly lather the body with the hands to wash off any excess bronzer. The bronzer will rinse off and the color stays. Be sure to rinse off before working out or getting dressed the next day.
- HANDS – Even though we take care of your hands and feet during the Bronzing Session, you are responsible for maintaining them during the following 8 hours while the color is still developing. Avoid touching areas of the skin that have recently been bronzed. Wash palms and fingertips several times during the first several hours following the session but avoid getting the back of the hands/wrists wet.
- After the first shower following your session, everything is back to normal. You can get wet, sweat, work out, moisturize, etc and enjoy your new bronze skin tone!
TIPS TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR COLOR:
- The key to extending color is to preserve the recently bronzed, top layer of skin as long possible. Your routine and habits determine the length of the time it will last.
- DO NOT take long hot showers or baths. It will fade your color extremely fast. Instead, keep your showers luke warm and keep them to only a few minutes. Stay away from heavy body scrubs, harsh soaps and cleansers. Use a ph balanced mild soap or body wash. Always pat dry.
- Keep your facial routine as simple as possible as well. The more you scrub, the more toners, cleansers, etc you use, the faster it will fade.
- Use a ph-balanced and all-natural moisturizers throughout the week
- Avoid using heavy oils on the skin like coconut oil or baby oil until the color is ready to come off completely.
- The more you shave, the faster the color fades so keep shaving to a minimum.
- Avoid tight clothing the first few days when possible (especially skinny jeans and tight, strappy shoes). Denim is a stiff material that can cause the legs to fade faster than they normally should. Another example, tight sports bras worn daily can cause some fading along strap lines. Always wear socks with sneakers or boots.
- Avoid conventional aerosol (spray) sunscreens. Trust us, we’ve tried them. They will strip you color immediately! Stick to natural/organic lotion SPF or organic spray sunscreens like COOLA.
PROPER EXFOLIATION BETWEEN BRONZING SESSIONS:
- A few days before your next scheduled Bronzing Session, make sure to remove every last trace of color on the skin. Start taking hotter, longer showers or baths. This will help speed up the exfoliation process.
- We recommend gentle exfoliation by using coconut oil or baby oil in hot shower or bath. Then take a washcloth and gently scrub areas on the body that still have color. Excessive scrubbing can dry out and irritate the skin. It may take a couple showers to get the color off completely. Stand in front of a door or window and use natural light to see what areas still have excess color that needs to be removed. And don’t forget to pay attention to the areas you don’t see, like the back of the knees and back of the neck.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to give us a call!