We know you love playing in the sun.
But, here are a few reasons to be smart and practice safe sun.
• Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States.
• Each year there are more new cases of skin cancer than the combined incidence of cancers of the breast, prostate, lung and colon.
• About 86 percent of melanomas can be attributed to exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun.
• Sustaining 5 or more sunburns in youth increases lifetime melanoma risk by 80 percent.
• Regular daily use of an SPF 15 or higher sunscreen reduces the risk of developing squamous cell carcinoma by 40 percent and the risk of
developing melanoma by 50 percent.
• Ultraviolet radiation (UVR) is a proven human carcinogen.
• People who first use a tanning bed before age 35 increase their risk for melanoma by 75 percent.